Re: Some annoying behaviours

From: Joel J. Adamson
Subject: Re: Some annoying behaviours
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 09:39:16 -0500

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello list,
>
> Emacs is cool but I'd still like to fix some annoying details to make
> it perfect.

"Good luck" he said sarcastically.

> The first one is about the 'completion' window which doesn't close
> automatically once it's no more needed. I know I can switch to this
> window and close it but it would be really nice to make this auto.

One solution I've found is to use Ibuffer and give *Completions* buffers
their own filter group. Then when they pile up I can delete them all at
once.

> The second one is about new windows that are automatically open
> by Emacs, for example when I start a compilation or GDB.

Sometimes when Emacs does things a particular way, it's a good idea to
learn why because changing your habits might make you more productive.

I got over this: window configurations are not sacred, and it wasn't
until I stopped thinking they were sacred that I realized how often I
switch buffers and how easy it is to change the window configuration.  I
use a combination of Ibuffer and Iswitchb mode to get around and I can
change window configurations in a matter of milliseconds.

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician