Re: Some annoying behaviours

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: Some annoying behaviours
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:25:57 GMT

Pete Axon <paxon@bigblue.net.au> writes:

>> The first one is about the 'completion' window which doesn't close
>> automatically once it's no more needed. I know I can switch to this
>> window and close it but it would be really nice to make this auto.
>
> There is no need to switch to the other window, simply type `C-x 1'
> and it maximizes the window you are in.

That works if you had only one window on the screen to begin with.  If
you had more than one (the usual case with me), the pop-up buffer
commandeers an adjacent one.  I suppose C-x4 b would get the original
buffer back, but then you would be in it instead of the one you were
working in.  Fortunately, I usually have a brief command that sets up
all the windows for the job I am doing.

Also, I have a utility that saves the current window setup in case I
expect to screw it up:

(defun interruption ()
  "Prepare to restore the existing state of the screen."
  (interactive)
  (if buffer-file-name
      (save-buffer))
  (save-window-excursion
    (recursive-edit))
  (if buffer-file-name
      (save-buffer))
  )

It is bound to a function key.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  When we speak of the physical world, we mean that it is  :||
||:  capable of containing physicists.                        :||