Re: Help for sql-oracle mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Help for sql-oracle mode
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 19:14:51 +1100

"misskiss wang" <misskiss.wang@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I like to using sql-oracle in emacs, but now I met a problem: The database I
> logged on no need to input username and password, both fields are empty. If I
> ran M-x sql-oracle in emacs, and I press ENTER butter two times and then input
> Server string, for example like DB1, I got an error like this:
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on Thu Feb 28 14:03:40 2008
>
> Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.
>
> Enter user-name:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> Enter user-name:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> Enter user-name:
> ERROR:
> ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
>
> SP2-0157: unable to CONNECT to ORACLE after 3 attempts, exiting SQL*Plus
>
> Process SQL exited abnormally with code 1

Can you access the database just running SQL-Plus? Oracle is natorious
for providing misleading error messages. For example, you will get that
same error message if you specify the wrong SID. The first thing I wold
do is try

sqlplus DB1

and hit enter when prompted for the username and password. If that
works, then we know the problem isn't with Oracle and have to look
closer at sqlplus.

Tim

P.S.

I've never seen an Oracle database that didn't require a username - the
username determines the schema - I guess you can have one, just never
come across it before.
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au