Re: Viewing PDFs as text?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Viewing PDFs as text?
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 22:08:20 +0100

"Roland Winkler" <Roland.Winkler@physik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:

> On Wed Mar 19 2008 Tassilo Horn wrote:
>> That could be done, but I don't think it would be a good idea,
>> because it opens a new buffer that has nothing to do with doc-view
>> and that could confuse users.
>
> Well, many emacs options can potentially confuse users, and I do not
> request that creating the text buffer is made the default. Yet emacs
> has a lot to do with customization

But an option to tell doc-view not to use doc-view?

> and achieving a goal in the most efficient way.

I think you could use txutils and put something like

(unless window-system
  (require 'txutils))

into your ~/.emacs.  Then it will use doc-view if you use X11 or txutils
on a tty.

> However, I spend about half of my time with emacs in a tty and the
> other half of my time it is running under X. Many emacs packages need
> to behave differently in these different environments. Yet the
> advantage is generally that I can use one package in both
> environments, and this one package comes with one set of commands,
> keybindings, customizations, etc.

Sure, but the "let doc-view open the text in a new buffer" shares
nothing with doc-view.  No functionality, no keymaps, no mode, no
buffer, really nothing.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.