Re: Can't remap option key in Mac OS X

From: Christos Chryssochoidis
Subject: Re: Can't remap option key in Mac OS X
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:37:02 +0200 (EET)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 28.03.2008 um 15:05 schrieb Christos Chryssochoidis:
Do you mean /usr/bin/emacs? I don't think that you can do anything like that you intend with it ...

Yes, I meant the command line emacs. In the Emacs manual that I have it says something like that in Appendix F.1 "Keyboard and Mouse Input on Mac".

Even if this version (or any other) of GNU Emacs knows about the variables mac-pass-option-to-system and mac-option-modifier it's not likely that you could achieve what you try: Emacs runs in Terminal as a guest. The host, Terminal, xterm, whatsoever, receives all (modified) input first.

I understand. I'll probably just use some GUI version of Emacs, which give more options to remap the various modifier keys of Mac. Cocoa Emacs allows to choose functions of the modifier keys from its preferences, and Carbon Emacs, "obeys" to the setting of mac-option-modifier in the .emacs file.

Thanks,

Christos