Profiling *entire* Emacs

From: Nordlöw
Subject: Profiling *entire* Emacs
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 04:44:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hey, there!

I looking for a way to profile (instrument) entire Emacs preferrably
including both built-in- and lisp-functions. Is this possible? The
instrumentation built into Emacs does not seem be built for profiling
entire Emacs. Is there another way? Or is the only feasable way to
build Emacs with debug-symbols and run it through gprof or oprofile?

The main reason for desire is that my fancy additional font-locking
for different classes of operators, braces, function calls, etc are
very useful but far too slow.

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw