Re: backup with revisions

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: backup with revisions
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:16:20 -0400

"H S" <haadyai@gmail.com> writes:

> I hope someone could shed me some light how to get backup with
> revisions to work.  What I found out is that the code below seems to
> work in certain directories but not those  CVS'd ones.    I am not
> sure whether CVS has anything to do with it.
>
> (require 'backup-dir "~/backup-dir.el")
> (setq bkup-backup-directory-info
>       '((t "~/.backups" ok-create full-path)))
> (setq backup-by-copying t
>       delete-old-versions t
>       kept-old-versions 2
>       kept-new-versions 6
>       version-control t)

Quoting the "Backup Files" node of the emacs manual:
      For files managed by a version control system (*note Version
    Control::), the variable `vc-make-backup-files' determines whether to
    make backup files.  By default it is `nil', since backup files are
    redundant when you store all the previous versions in a version
    control system.  *Note General VC Options::.