Windows Emacs doesn't understand UNIX symbolic link?

From: Yang
Subject: Windows Emacs doesn't understand UNIX symbolic link?
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 23:01:51 -0500

Hi all,

I recently installed emacs on 32bit Windows Vista home premium. I mainly
use it to access/edit source code on a remote UNIX machine (through the
tramp 2.1.9 package). However one thing that bothers me is that the
windows emacs does not seem to undertand UNIX symbolic link.

For example, on the remote Unix machine, I have "a.cc", which is a normal
file; and also "asl.cc", which is a symbolic link to "a.cc", thus "asl.cc
-> a.cc".

If I use my windows emacs to access "asl.cc", it can read it correctly.
However once you made any changes and save it, things became messed up.
"a.cc" didn't get updated, instead you have this:

"asl.cc" becomes a normal file and no longer points to "a.cc"
"asl.cc~" now is a symbolic link and points to "a.cc"
"a.cc" is not changed.

The current available versions of precompiled windows emacs at:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ all seem to have this problem.

Anyone know what was going on and how to fix this? or could this be a
problem with the tramp package?

Thanks a lot!!
--Yang