Re: possible to exchange server and client?

From: anhnmncb
Subject: Re: possible to exchange server and client?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:47:46 +0800

> Am 14.07.2008 um 11:40 schrieb anhnmncb:
>
>> But there has been. See two screenshots, first is org-mode in emacs
>> server, which is running in the dtach sesstion on urxvt; second is
>> org-mode in emacsclient which is with the same emacs server:
>>             http://paste.ubuntu.org.cn/i8055
>>             http://paste.ubuntu.org.cn/i8054
>> You can see, in emacsclient, the column view can't display properly,
>> it's not relative to the color-theme. Emacs server works well.
>
> It's – to me – not a question wether something works correctly or not.
> To me it looks like a difference in default-frame-alist and
> initial-frame-alist. Check these!
>
> Make also tests with command line options like -q and -Q to see
> customised and "vanilla" behaviour.

hmm, -Q works, I must have to find what's wrong with my config.

>> Now what I want is: Start emacs server on xorg, then run an
>> emacsclient
>> in console and make it to be a server, so the old client becomes new
>> server and the old server becomes client?
>

> There is no frame, window, or particle of GNU Emacs that can claim:
> "Hey, *I* am the server!" (You can start it form ~/.emacs!) As long
> as in the multi-tty GNU Emacs 23.0.60 one particle of that Emacs is
> left (even when running in the background, but not when completely
> suspended, i.e., C-z without fg in terminal) which started in any
> particle the server, the server is on, running, and accessible from
> emacsclient. *Each* particle is the server and every particle could
> have been a client. It's as with hard-links. Why don't you try it?
> You dont need to quit first Emacs, just stop its server (although not
> really needed, but less complication on the command line) and launch
> another instance of GNU Emacs! There aren't so many on this list that
> did the same as you are trying to do. Therefore the lack of good
> replies.
>
> You won't learn much English when just testing (and not writing), but
> doing (in)sane experiments will make you experienced and sure about
> what you are doing. Or trying to ...

What I do is, run emacs in console, then M-x server-start.
Startx, run emacsclient -c, then M-x server-start, it says:
        The current server still has clients; delete them? (y or n)
I answser y, then the frame is killed. But I don't want to kill this
frame, I want server-start from it, so it becomes a server.

Thank you for your patient very much!

--
Regards,

  anhnmncb