Re: possible to exchange server and client?

From: anhnmncb
Subject: Re: possible to exchange server and client?
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 22:35:34 +0800

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> anhnmncb <anhnmncb@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> hmm, I want to run emacs with server-start in Xorg, then create a frame
>> in console, then in the console frame, M-x server-start to make that
>> frame become an emacs server too, so now I can safely exit the emacs
>> running on xorg.
>
> This is where you are in error.  There is not one instance of emacs
> per frame.  Frames are but windows open on the same emacs process.
> You can make-frame and  delete-frame at will, but this is always the
> same emacs process.
>
> In addition, server-start is totally independant of what frames emacs
> has currently open.
> "Running emacs with server-start in Xorg" is meaningless a sentence.
>
> If you exit emacs from one frame, then all frames will be killed,
> because there's only one emacs process.
>
> And if you delete the last frame, emacs will also be killed, that's
> why I'd advise you to always keep at least one (unused) frame open, so
> you can reconnect to your emacs process when you get disconnected from
> your current frame/tty.

Thanks for the patient and detailed explanation! Make me realise my
totally wrong concept misled you.

Let me give another try to express my need:

I start an emacs process, then make a new frame, then let this new frame
become a new emacs process, is it possible?

--
Regards,

  anhnmncb
 gpg key: 44A31344