Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:32:29 +0200

Tim X wrote:
"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

Tim X wrote:
Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:
Those who say "Hey! The learning curve is too high." are those
who don't really want/need Emacs.
Exactly. Well said.

I thought Bastien was joking there. Maybe I was misunderstanding, but when
people complains about the learning curve I believe they are mostly saying

  "Hey! The learning curve in Emacs is to high. It did
   not take that long at all to learn to do the same thing
   in the other programs I tried."

I don't agree. My experience with people learning emacs isn't that the
learning curve is too steep for the things they do with other programs,
but rather that the learning curve is steep because there is so much
more functionality to learn. The basics of emacs don't really differ
that much from any other editor.

I think the learning curve on Windows for Emacs is much steeper. There are much more details to consider.

For the record, I was agreeing with his point about concentrating on
extending functionality rather than worrying about terminology so
much.

I agree to that point too.

I think the real source of issues regarding terminology is actually more
a reflection of laziness.

It might be true in some cases, but please be careful when using such statements. The laziness may equally well be in your side in that you do not try to understand all details well enough when it comes to why some things matter.