Re: Files created with emacs are owned by system

From: D. Power
Subject: Re: Files created with emacs are owned by system
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 13:18:52 -0600

In article <mailman.15719.1217606007.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 01.08.2008 um 17:04 schrieb iainb.forms:
>
> > ls -l /usr/bin/emacs
> > -r-sr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  30008 Aug 19  2006 /usr/bin/emacs
>

> The permissions are faulty, the "s" (setuid bit) instead of "x,"
> which makes every Emacs user to root. 'sudo chmod 555 /usr/bin/emacs'
> will correct them. (Is Leopard two years old?) It's a security hole.

I'm the OP of the message mentioned earlier in this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/91010d
5de48d8b98#
It seems odd that this same problem cropped up on two different machines
so close together (I'm running OS X 10.4).  There haven't been any
recent updates that should have changed permissions like that.  Anyway,
your suggestion worked in my case, thanks.

--
D. Power
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his