Re: "push" creating circular objects

From: Charles Sebold
Subject: Re: "push" creating circular objects
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 07:12:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 20, 4:50 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Minor variation:
>
> (defun test2 (str)
>   (let (my-list)
>         (with-temp-buffer
>           (insert str)
>           (goto-char (point-min))
>           (while (not (eobp))
>                 (cond
>                   ((= (char-after) ?#)
>                    (push "ol" my-list))
>                   ((= (char-after) ?*)
>                    (push "ul" my-list)))
>                 (forward-char 1)))
>         my-list))
>
> no need to bind my-list to nil too :)

Useful tip, thanks.

Astoundingly I'm still having the same problem, when I run this in the
context of the larger program.  Against the string "** " it returns
the circular list (#1="ul" #1#).  In the scratch buffer it works (same
as with my function earlier).

So, I must be rebinding something else in a bad way, but heck if I
know how.  I'm going to try to trim the whole problem down to a bare
minimum test case and then if I can't figure it out I'll post the
whole thing and ask people to eval and see what they can come up
with.  Thanks for your time.

Charlie