Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Browsing dirs from Dired with graphical explorer
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:28:26 +0200

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

>> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>>
>>> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> Hi Richard,

>>> I don't know.  What happens if you eval?
>>>
>>>   (start-process "dired-external" "*dired-external*"
>>>                  "xdg-open" "http://www.freedesktop.org/";)
>>>
>>> There should be some output in the *dired-external* buffer now.
>>
>> Yes : "Process dired-external finished". But nothing comes up.
>>

>>> Hm, strange.  This doesn't work here, too, and in *dired-external*
>>> there's only "Process dired-external finished".  If I replace "xdg-open"
>>> with "conkeror" it'll start conkeror on freedesktop.org.
>>>
>>>   xdg-open http://www.freedesktop.org/
>>>
>>> in a terminal starts conkeror on freedesktop.org, too.  I'm totally
>>> stunned why this doesn't work from inside emacs.  But
>>
>> its a relief you are seeing the same as me now :-;
>>

>>>   (start-process "dired-external" "*dired-external*"
>>>                  "xdg-open" (getenv "HOME"))
>>
>> great! thanks!
>>

>>> does work and open thunar in my HOME.
>

> I spoke too soon. It does not work here... I just get
>
> Process dired-external finished
>
> again the buffer.

One of the problems I had was opening files associated with emacs - it
just hung as I was using emacs client. The solution was to have a
"myedit" script:

emacsclient -n "$@"

And the code is now:

(defun dired-open-externally ()
  "Open the current directory in your OS's file manager."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fileobject (dired-get-file-for-visit)))
;       (start-process "dired-external" nil "/usr/bin/xdg-open"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/";)
        (shell-command (concat "xdg-open" " " fileobject))
;       (start-process-shell-command "xdg" nil "/usr/bin/xdg-open"
"www.ibm.com")
        )
)

(define-key dired-mode-map (kbd "e") 'dired-open-externally)

I still don't know why start-process should not work.