What happened to vc-mode in Emacs 23?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: What happened to vc-mode in Emacs 23?
Date: 10 Nov 2008 00:46:06 +0100

Hello list

I used to use Emacs for CVS handling. A few days ago I switched from
stable to Emacs 23.0.60.1 (Emacs-Snapshot under Ubuntu 8.10).

Now, when I try to check-in my projects (C-x C-v C-d ~/aktuell/) I get
something looking like this:

,----
| VC backend : CVS
| Working dir: ~/aktuell/
|

|                          ./
`----

Several CVS projects are located below ~/aktuell. Emacs 22 recognizes
them all and lists all files that need to be checked in. Emacs 23 just
shows this screen and nothing else happens. I guess there is some change
Emacs 23 I haven't noticed. But I cannot find anything in the Wiki nor
in the info files.

I have set the repository in my .emacs like this:

(setenv "CVSROOT" ":ext:sven@server:/home/svenbret/cvs")
(setenv "CVS_RSH" "ssh")

What is wrong?

Thanks for help