Super modifier mapped to super + control

From: Joe
Subject: Super modifier mapped to super + control
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 20:30:15 -0800 (PST)

Hey all,

I'm trying to use the super modifier in some of my key bindings.  The
problem is when I hit the super key emacs interprets it as super +
control.  For example, when I hit (super t) emacs shows (super control
t).   I can bind a key to super + control and it works, but this seems
like a unnecessary hack.

I'm running emacs 23.0.60.1 on Ubuntu 8.10.
xev shows that pressing the super key maps to Super_L.
Starting emacs -q (no init file) has the same behavior.

Any ideas?