help more effectively editing LaTeX docs

From: excord80
Subject: help more effectively editing LaTeX docs
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 20:33:20 -0800 (PST)

I'm using whatever the standard LaTeX mode is that loads when I open
a .ltx file. How can I:

* get GNU/Emacs to type "\emph{}" for me and put the point between the
curlies
* same question, but "\mathrm{}" in math mode
* type the next "\item" for me when I finish the previous "\item" and
want another
* failing those above, just give me electric closing of (, [, and {. I
see that I can use C-c { to get a pair of curlies, but that doesn't
seem like any less work than {}left-arrow.

I've looked at the docs for LaTeX mode (C-h m), but they seem rather
brief. I've also looked in the GNU/Emacs manual (section 22.9.2), but
didn't find what I was looking for (lots of details about getting the
mode to process your files though).

One useful time-saver I *have* discovered so far (via the Emacs
manual) is C-c C-o to help create "\begin" and "\end" blocks, and that
is quite nice indeed.

Thanks.