Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:07:18 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 14:03, Phil Carmody
<thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Subtract the 'start, quit' time from the 'start, open file, quit' time.
> That's the file open time. Is vim loading a file at twice the speed of
> emacs cause for concern?

Depends on the total time, and also on what are both editors doing
(syntax coloring, conversion, etc.). I don't doubt you're right that
Emacs is slower than vi; I can only offer my personal experience that,
for me, it is rare indeed the file where loading causes a significant,
annoying delay. I suppose it will be much more common in old hardware.

> You don't seriously think that I was considering 'start, quit'
> to be an actual usage scenario whose time is important, do you?

I found your way of presenting the data confusing. If you're
interested only in the file load time, why list the other times too?
If your interlocutor doesn't trust you to do a subtraction he won't
trust you to do the measures in the first place. [That said, it is
entirely possible your message was quite clear and I just didn't get
it; the flu's got the better of me right now.)

> The reason I don't use the client/server setup is that I absolutely
> do not want C/Perl code buffers appearing or being offered to me
> while I'm doing stuff in GNUS, and I absolutely do not want newsgroup/
> SCORE buffers appearing or being offered to me when I'm doing stuff
> with coding. Is there any way to keep these two sessions independent
> and still use the client/server setup?

I think the variable `server-window' could be useful. Or did you try
it already and didn't suit your needs?

    Juanma