Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:15:37 +0100

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 16:09, Phil Carmody
> <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> So I just created a new frame, and dragged it to my coding desktop,
>> how do I find out how to identify that frame?
>
> See the function `selected-frame'.
>
> For example, you could create a new frame, and then, with the focus on
> it, you can do
>
>   M-: (setq server-window (selected-frame)) <RET>
>
> Of course, if you plan to do it automatically from your .emacs you
> could use something like this (not tested):
>
>   (setq server-window (make-frame '((height . 40) (width . 80))))
>
>> Maybe there's a function which will tell me how to identify the
>> frame I'm in.
>
> Yes.
>
>> C-h a frame doesn't really list much that seems useful.
>
> On the contrary, I'd say it lists a lot of useful things (too many,
> perhaps).

One assumes he meant concerning the subject at hand :-;

>> And here's one extra thing that's a bit puzzling - why is it a
>> server-*window*?
>
> Why not? The name comes from the original (but still valid) use of the
> variable.

Because one considers connecting to servers and process instances, not
"windows" which have a clear meaning. Or am I confused here? Actually
scrub that. I know I am.

>> What good would it have done if I had succeded in setting the
>> server-window to one of the two original windows? Wouldn't a
>> server-frame be far more useful?
>
> Apparently, for you the answer is yes :-) Not for me, I dislike having
> several frames.

>> And this is why I run 2 emacses, one for news, and one for coding.
>
> I think with a suitable setup of server.el you wouldn't really need

Do you mean a new server.el? Or a setup of the existing one?

> that, but if you like it more your can run two emacsen, each one of
> them a server (with different names, for example "news" and "coding"),
> and use
>
>    emacsclient --server=news file1
>    emacsclient --server=coding file2

my emacslient doesn't have this parameter. Could you explain in more
details please? How to start the named servers using (server-start)  and
how to connect.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation