Re: how to manipulate data like awk or perl when visiting a file

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: how to manipulate data like awk or perl when visiting a file
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:34:57 -0700

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
I want to get a leg up on how I might manipulate a file like I can
with shell tools or awk/perl.

Examples:  I want to display only the first field of lines 30 thru 75
           I want to reverse field 1 and 5 and print those plus 6 of
           each line.
           I want to add up the numbers that appears in field 7 of
           lines 11 through 28 printing the total to ~/sumtot.txt

Are you familiar with M-| (shell-command-on-region)?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA