Re: mimencode error using tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: mimencode error using tramp
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:17:59 +0100

Will Parsons <wbp@nodomain.invalid> writes:

> When I retried this, I get somewhat different diagnostics, but still the
> same basic problem.
>
> Tramp buffer:
> --------------------------------------
> ( tramp_encode </dev/null 2>/dev/null; echo tramp_exit_status $? )
> tramp_encode: not found
> tramp_exit_status 1
>

> Trace buffer:
> --------------------------------------
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Couldn't find an inline transfer
> encoding")

That means what it says: Tramp cannot find a program on the remote host
for encoding and decoding.

You must use an external method instad of, like scp. I'm not sure
whether this works for Tramp 2.0; recently I've fixed a bug in Tramp
2.1, where Tramp gave up in the same case although inline encodings
where not needed.

If Tramp 2.0 works for you with scp - fine. Otherwise, you might check
the latest Tramp 2.1 from Tramp or Emacs 23 CVS repository. Or you wait
for Tramp 2.1.16, which shall be released, soon.

Best regards, Michael.