Improving Emacs (was: usability problem of emacs describe-mode)

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Improving Emacs (was: usability problem of emacs describe-mode)
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:33:07 GMT

On 2009-02-25 12:25 (-0800), Xah Lee wrote:

> On Feb 25, 11:50 am, Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:
>> Why "please perhaps file a bug report" when you can do it yourself?
>
> I already did.

Good. That is constructive, and I agree with the ^L thing.

> [...] Because otherwise the fuckheads will start to say i spam.
                              ^^^^^^^^^

But that is not. Code which makes one's point visible is constructive;
whining that "fuckheads" don't agree with you and that nobody wants to
implement your pet features is not so.

Anyway, I find your ergonomic Emacs keybindings[1] interesting, and it's
nice that there is code available. I found the keybindings too
intrusive, though, so I implemented my own map which only changes
certain cursor movement keys. It's a global minor mode with its own mode
map so it can be turned on and off easily. The code is here:

    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ergo-movement-mode.el

1. http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html