Re: binding a key for keyword completion in all modes

From: Marc Tfardy
Subject: Re: binding a key for keyword completion in all modes
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 20:58:14 +0100

Xah Lee schrieb:
> this is a problem that annoys me, i wonder how you guys solve it.
>
> the default shortcut for completion is Meta+Tab. However, that key is
> after Alt+Tab, and in Mac and Windows and Linux, that combo is taken
> by OS to switch apps. (i don't want to have emacs override that)
>
> What i have always been doing is pressing Esc then Tab, but that is
> really annoying, especially if you use this often.
>
> How do you solve this?

On windows you can use:
(w32-register-hot-key [A-tab])
and M-TAB do completion in Emacs.

I start Emacs in "normal" behavior, so ALT-TAB do task switch, but
in my .emacs I have this small piece of code:

;; Disable Alt+Tab as task switch with ESC C-TAB
(define-key esc-map (kbd "C-<tab>")
 (lambda ()
   (interactive)
   (message "ALT-TAB task switch disabled.")
   (w32-register-hot-key [A-tab])))

If required I press "ESC C-TAB" and Emacs take over the M-TAB (ALT-TAB).

Windows task switch works still with ALT-ESC (but in slightly
another way).

regards
Marc