Slow cperl-mode in emacs 22 & 23

From: Hinrik Örn Sigurðsson
Subject: Slow cperl-mode in emacs 22 & 23
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 22:26:17 +0000

(It seems my original email didn't make it to the list. I'm trying again now.)

I'm new to emacs and the first thing I tried after installing it was
to edit a Perl file (~3000 lines) and switch to cperl-mode (via M-x
cperl-mode). Moving around in the file with cperl-mode is very slow. I
have to wait at least a second to see results after hitting Page Down.
Editing smaller files (~500 lines) is faster but still a little
sluggish. The default perl-mode is very fast in all cases.

I get same the results whether I'm in the console
or the GUI, and whether I'm on my laptop or workstation (both Ubuntu 8.10).

I have done no configuration (no ~/.emacs or ~/.emacs.d). I tried
emacs 22.2 and two snapshots of emacs 23 (2008-10-13 and 2009-03-20).
They all have the same issue.

This is the Perl file in question, if anyone's interested:
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/BINGOS/POE-Component-IRC-6.04/lib/POE/Component/IRC.pm