Re: latex emacs config for viewing pdf without auctex

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: latex emacs config for viewing pdf without auctex
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:14:42 -0600

Sven Bretfeld wrote:
Fdfdfd Fdfdfd <landau82@yahoo.fr> writes:

I've searching for a long time but didn't find out how to bind the
key sequence C-c C-v
with adobe acrobat pdf reader (C-c C-c launches pdflatex) instead of
the default dvi viewer.

So the question is what do I need to put in my .emacs file to do the
job ?

It's a little more complex than a simple keybinding. Launch the
following command:

M-x customize-variable RET TeX-output-view-style RET

In the block starting with the line:

INS DEL Extension: ^pdf$

replace the value of the Command-line with:

acroread %o

That's the command for starting Acrobat Reader under Linux. If you are
under Windows or Mac the command might be different, I don't know.

Anyway, you don't have to hit C-c C-v to view your output. C-c C-c
automatically suggests to start the viewer if you haven't changed your
tex-file after the last LaTeX run. All you ever need is C-c C-c. You can
toggle between creating a dvi or a pdf output (i.e. a latex run or a
pdflatex run) by hitting C-c C-t C-p. The view-style will also change
automatically.

Hope it helps

Sven

In the w32 Emacs build (using auctex) the last two lines of this variable are:

 ("^pdf$" "." "xpdf -remote %s -raise %o %(outpage)")
 ("^html?$" "." "netscape %o"))

I changed the pdf line in Customize to read "start acrord32 %o" and this raises Adobe Reader (8.0) if it's not running, and loads it with the .pdf corresponding to the current .tex file, or if Adobe is running it just opens the new .pdf. However, if a former version of the pdf is already loaded then running C-c C-c trys to rebuild the .pdf and causes a sharing violation. Is there someway to close that old .pdf in Adobe Reader from Emacs? Btw, changing netscape to firefox in the above causes an html file in Emacs to be loaded into Firefox on C-c C-v

Ed