Re: copying and pasting in emacs

From: Peter Finn
Subject: Re: copying and pasting in emacs
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 12:53:56 -0500

At Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:17:02 -0700 (PDT),
luca pamparana wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am unable to figure out how to select and copy text as you would do
> in another editors:
>
> For example, one thing I normally need to do is select from the
> current position upto the next few words. Normally, I just press shift
> + ctrl and the left or right arrow key and the editor would highlight
> one word at a time. I have so far been unable to figure out how to
> highlight text in emacs using the keyboard.
>
> Anyone knows how I can do it esp. highlighting one word, line etc. at
> a time.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Luca

If you want behavior similar to other editors you might want to try
turning on CUA mode (M-x cua-mode <RET>) which will give you exactly the
selection behavior you want (using <SHIFT> in combination with <ARROW>);
as well as key-bindings for the copying, cutting, and pasting of text
similar to other editors you may be familiar with.

CUA mode can be enabled permanently through Emacs' customization
facility by typing: M-x customize-variable <RET> cua-mode <RET> and
setting is value to ON, and saving your changes.

Peter