How can one check which version of specific emacs package is being loade

From: Nobuko Three
Subject: How can one check which version of specific emacs package is being loaded
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 07:47:58 -0700 (PDT)

I installed the latest version of the Emacs package org-mode manually on my
Ubuntu machine. I didn't edit Makefile because I don't know how to do it, so
I believe there are two org-mode files on my machine: one is Emacs built-in
old version (Emacs is installed from Synaptic), another is the manually
installed new version. How can I check which one is being loaded?

Actually I added the following line to org.el before installing it.

(setq my-org-mode-version-is 625)

But something tells me my trick must be unnecessary. (This trick told me the
new version of org-mode is being loaded)

On the other hand, I also installed the latest reftex 4.33 package.  But
when do M-x find-library RET reftex RET, I get the old 4.31 version of the
file and when I evaluate the variable reftex-version, it says version 4.31,
the old version. But some behavior of reftex changed after I installed the
latest version.

How can I make sure that the old version of a specific package not be
loaded? And what is the reliable way to verify it?