Re: Search for a word in Emacs as is done in gvim

From: harven
Subject: Re: Search for a word in Emacs as is done in gvim
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:17:19 +0200

rakeshg <rakeshbabugr@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In gvim we have a feature where:
>
> By having the cursor on a particular word, and pressing "*" key , we can
> search for the word in the files.
>
> In emacs we have first copy the word and then do Ctl-S and then paste it.
>
> Is there a way in emacs to search for a word like we do in gvim(VI)

With the point at the beginning of the word, type: C-s C-w C-s C-s ...
You can swallow several words if you want :        C-s C-w C-w C-w C-s C-s ...
or even everything until the end of line:          C-s C-y

see the following for a list of options after the first C-s
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IncrementalSearch