Re: recover files deleted in Emacs on Ubuntu

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: recover files deleted in Emacs on Ubuntu
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:19:08 +1000

"funny.haha" <funny.haha@live.ca> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I am running GNU emacs version 22.2.1 on Ubuntu. When I am in DIRED mode, I
> can delete files by pressing SHIFT+D. My question is that: can I recover
> the deleted files in case of a mistake?
>
> Obviously, the file is not in the Trash Can of Ubuntu. One work around is
> to associate "dired-recursive-delete' with perhaps some customized command
> that moves the file to the transh can. Does any one know how to do this?
>
> Thank you for any pointer.
>
> Kzhu

don't use Shift+d. Instead, just use 'd', then when you have finished
marking all the files you want to delete with 'd', hit 'x' and they are
deleted. You are also prompted before the delete happens to confirm
thats what you want to do (with the list of files marked to be deleted
in a pop-up window.

Note that in Emacs 23, emacs will use a trash can by default.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au