RE: Tabs and Spaces

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Tabs and Spaces
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:03:09 -0700

> Since it is unlikely that the built in emacs parsing /
> indentation will be able to handle my modified syntax,...
> For the longer term, I definitely want to work out how
> to customise the indentation for my purposes.

It's not hard, actually. It's just not well documented (IMO).

See the Emacs manual, node `Lisp Indent'.

Personally, I think the explanation given there is inadequate, and this (or
more) should really be in the Elisp manual (you need some Lisp code to customize
indentation of various Lisp sexps) - there is nothing in the Lisp manual about
it. I've just filed a doc bug about this.

After reading that node, `grep' the Lisp source code for places where it puts
property `lisp-indent-function' on various function and macro symbols. Just copy
what's done there. See also `C-h f lisp-indent-function', which describes the
function that uses the symbol property.