shell doesn't appear to execute $HOME/.emacs_bash

From: David Karr
Subject: shell doesn't appear to execute $HOME/.emacs_bash
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 16:33:42 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running GNU Emacs in Cygwin, both of which I just installed on
this
box.

In shell-mode in Emacs, I want the same aliases that are defined in
my $HOME/.bashrc file.  As far as I can tell, the way to do this is to
create a file $HOME/.emacs_bash with the following contents:

  . $HOME/.bashrc

Unfortunately, this seems to have no effect.  Once the shell mode
finishes initializing, the aliases I needed are not set.  I also tried
adding an "echo" to the top of that file, to see if I could when it is
executed, but I never saw that output anywhere.

I've also tested this with XEmacs on Cygwin, and it behaves exactly
the same way.