Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:41:16 +0200

Kim Christensen <kim.christensen@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Kim!

> I am actually mounting the Samba share via the cifs network protocol,
> which allows me to mount it as a network file system (using "cifs" as
> the vfstype argument to the "mount" application).

Ah, then I didn't understand you correctly.  If you mounted a SMB share,
then to emacs those should be local files.  Please try the following:

  1. Open a file on that share and edit it
  2. M-x toggle-debug-on-error
  3. Save if with `C-x C-s'
  4. Poste the contents of the *Backtrace* buffer here

> Are you using tramp for accessing the files? I could try that
> tomorrow, without mounting it at all -- just accessing it directly.

You can try, but working with files on a mounted smb share should work
anyway...

Bye,
Tassilo