Re: Using Cedet with Tramp and projects on NFS mounts

From: Pierre Lorenzon
Subject: Re: Using Cedet with Tramp and projects on NFS mounts
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 09:08:58 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

From: Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:45:24 -0700

> Hi all,
>
> I am a relatively new Emacs user on GNU/Linux and loving it. I
> learned about CEDET from this list and tried it out. I need to
> work within a few frameworks developed in C++ and for code on
> my local machine it works perfectly. I have this in my .emacs
> to make that work.

  First you'd better post such questions on a dedicated cedet
  list where you'll find people knowing cedet features and
  details. But anyway !

>> ;; cedet customisations for ROOT Data Analysis Framework
>> (setq rootsys "~/root/include")

   Simply try to replace it with :

   (setq rootsys "/ssh:user@remote.host:~/path/to/my/project/")

>> (semantic-add-system-include rootsys 'c++-mode)
>> (add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist (cons rootsys 'c++-mode))
>> (add-to-list 'semantic-lex-c-preprocessor-symbol-file (concat
>> rootsys "/include"))
>> (add-to-list 'semantic-lex-c-preprocessor-symbol-file (concat
>> rootsys "/ExRootAnalysis"))
>> (add-to-list 'semantic-lex-c-preprocessor-symbol-file (concat
>> rootsys "/ExRootAnalysis/ExRootAnalysis"))

   Emacs is transparent to such operations. The goal of tramp
   is precisely to make it transparent. For instance I do
   things like that for mew or w3m. Directories are on remote
   machines in certain circumstances. When starting mew or w3m
   there are tramp operations in the background and I suspect
   that it will be similar with cedet.

   Anyway you'll perhaps want to switch from a situation to
   another, but it's not difficult to change the rootsys
   variable and reinitialize other variables from its value.

> But most of my work requires me to work on remote machines. So
> my question is, how do I setup semantic to search the
> directories in my project for tags when I am connected to the
> remote machine using Tramp like this,
>
> /ssh:user@remote.host:~/path/to/my/project/
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
>
> PS: the remote machine is usually across the atlantic :P

  Humm !! In this case it might be slow ! But anyway not slower
  than your ssh connection ! Moreover, once all files would be
  loaded no more transactions will be performed. Anyway whith
  such a configuration I had to wait 10 or 15 minutes until
  everything is loaded.