RE: emacs menu bar tuning suggestion.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs menu bar tuning suggestion.
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2009 10:08:25 -0700

> Can we unified the usages of TMM and GUI Menu bar?
> When I used emacs, I always lost in its huge amount of commands.
> If we can make our emacs menu have accelerators just like normal GUI
> Application. I think it will be more friendly to newbies.
> And after newbies has familiar with those command, they should call
> them in the same key bindings without showing menus.
> I feel this is a more intuitive way for me to learn a new software.
>
> So, can we make our emacs menu have accelerator just like normal GUI
> Application?

Try LaCarte, http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/LaCarte, instead of tmm.el.

Try LaCarte with Icicles, to explore the menu tree and go directly to submenu
items. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles

See http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MenuBar for menu-bar enhancements and
customization, including menu-bar+.el.

> I think NCurse, GTK and Win32 both support it natively.
> menuacc.el - part of EmacsW32. Provides keyboard accelerators for
> Emacs menu items. (Currently this only works with the patched version
> of Emacs+EmacsW32. There is no Windows specific code in it really, but
> the needed support in Emacs is not yet there.)

See the comments in the lacarte.el header about handling Windows menu
accelerators, such as those Lennart adds with EmacsW32.