Re: What is the best way to signal the completion of a task?

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: What is the best way to signal the completion of a task?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 20:31:09 -0600

Steven Shiells wrote:
I am part of a group who are writing some software that will be
compatible with Emacs. Initially, the software is expected to be slow,
and the user may wish to go and do something else. Currently, there
are situations where there are no visible signs that the task has been
completed. It is in these circumstances that we are unsure of the best
way to notify the user that the task has been completed. We are
looking for something simple and that will not annoy the user if they
away doing other things.

We have tried searching the forum for any similar posts, but had no
success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If the task is an asynchronous Emacs subprocess, then a sentinel is the
way to go.  If the task is an operating system process, then you
probably need to use the file system to communicate its status to Emacs,
which can use a timer to check for the change.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA