Re: double backslash problem in elisp

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: double backslash problem in elisp
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:42:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 21, 6:18 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
> > double backslash should mean single backslash as far as i knows...
>
> Yes, double backslash within "..." means a single backslash character
> within that string.
>
> But a backslash character within a regexp (i.e. a string interpreted by
> a function such as replace-regexp-in-string as a regexp) is an escape
> character in the regexp syntax.  So it cannot stand on its own.
>
> <grrr>Really Xah, for all your chest-puffing about your experience
> in the field of programming, you really surprise me sometimes with
> questions like this.</grrr>

well i reddit the master regex cover to cover in 1998, and have Larry
Wall's sig to prove it.

• Pathetically Elational Regex Language
  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/perlr.html

☺

i swear i replied to this thread with something useful this morn...
but cant' find it now. Maybe it went private mail by mistake...

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/