RE: automatic search/search and replace for a marked string

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: automatic search/search and replace for a marked string
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:41:38 -0700

> there is a searching feature in UltraEdit that I want it so bad in emacs.

Your wish has been granted.

> you highlight some text, and press F3, it will automatically do the
> search of the lighlighted text for you.

1. Select the text.

2. `C-s' or `C-r' (isearch forward or backward)

3. `M-y' (copy the selected text as the search text

4. `C-s' or `C-r' (isearch forward or backward)

The Emacs manual is your friend. See node `Isearch Yank'.

(You can of course bind `F3' and `S-F3' in place of, or in addition to, `C-s'
and `C-r', if you really want those keys.)