Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Copying text from emacs to another application using M-w
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 14:06:23 +1000

Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com> writes:

> When I copy region of text using M-w I'm able to paste it in Emacs
> just fine using C-y. However, when I try to paste it in another
> application it doesn't seem to have been copied for use outside of
> emacs. For this to work, I need to select the region I wish to copy
> and choose copy from the menu. Is there anyway to get it to copy for
> use outside emacs by using just M-w and not having to use the menu?
> I'm using Emacs 23 on Ubuntu 9.04. Thanks!

How are you pasting into the other application? Are you using the middle
mouse button?

I follow the following process and it all works fine.

1. mark the region
2. cut/copy the region with C-w or M-w
3. Go tot he app I want to paste to
4. Put the cursor where I want to paste and hit the middle mouse button

note that I'm not using CUA mode - not sure if that has any impact.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au