Re: Please help with location of .emacs file and .emacs.d folder locatio

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Please help with location of .emacs file and .emacs.d folder location
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:28:00 +0200

> From: patrol <patrol_boat@hotmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 07:56:09 -0800 (PST)
>
> I'm not sure about this. Should I just create a new folder
> named .emacs.d in this directory? And should I just create a plain
> text file .emacs in the directory as well?

Just start Emacs, then type "C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET".  Then type there
whatever you want, and finally type "C-x C-s" to save the file.  Emacs
will put it in the correct place, and will find it there when you
restart it.

As for the .emacs.d directory, Emacs will create it itself when
needed.  You don't need to be bothered.