Running emacs deamon outside login

From: Richard Lewis
Subject: Running emacs deamon outside login
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:35:26 +0000

On Linux, I've been wondering whether there's a good way to run emacs
deamon outside of my login process, so that I can log out and in again
and connect to the same emacs deamon process.

One sort of solution is running it using start-stop-deamon on Debian,
essentially as described on emacswiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsAsDaemon#toc3

However, to get this to work I've had to hack it as I describe at the
bottom of that section (running emacs using su).

This may be more of a Linux question than an Emacs question, but does
anyone know of any better ways to do this? It's essentially just some
way to ensure that the emacs process stays alive when I log out.
--
Richard Lewis