Re: how to keep a permanent buffer list open?

From: Brendan Miller
Subject: Re: how to keep a permanent buffer list open?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:03:01 -0800

Thanks for your replies; however, I think I may not have been clear in
communicating what I want to do.

I've attached a screenshot that shows the behavior I want in gedit. In
particular, on the left hand side of the gedit screenshot you can see
a list of all open buffers in gedits "documents" list.

This is the UI behavior I want becaue it lets me visually keep track
of all buffers. It also is fairly space efficient, or at least good
enough for my needs.

The main problem with tabs for me is that I tend to have a lot of
documents open, and they don't scale. So in other editors I usually
turn tabs off and open a buffer list of some kind like in gedit. In
firefox I use the tree style tabs plugin:

So maybe given the gedit screenshot, and a look at the firefox plugin,
someone will know if this is doable in emacs. I haven't dealt with
elisp much at all, so some pointers would be welcome.

I actually use this "side tab" behavior in maybe 4 different editors,
so I'd like to work out something similar if possible, as I am very
used to it, and like it.

For the time being I have tabbar turned on.

Thanks,
Brendan