Re: Regex reference

From: Tom Dye
Subject: Re: Regex reference
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:20:52 -1000

On 2010-02-04 09:15:44 -1000, "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> said:

Aloha.

Aloha all,

I'm able to use regular expressions in LISP strings fairly regularly
for simple situations.  I'd like to get better at this, so that it is
easier for me to conceptualize possible solutions to more complex
problems.   Can anyone offer either print or on-line references that
might help me think about regular expressions in LISP strings more
effectively?  I need something more than a concise
description of each character, something that will help me find the
right frame of mind (so to speak).

This might help:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/RegularExpression#LearningRegexps

The more you use regexps in Emacs, the more you will learn about them. Using
them interactively is a great way to practice.

Many Emacs commands let you use regexps. You can get used to using regexps in
Emacs commands by starting with simple patterns. The important thing is to get
in the practice of using them. And remember that an ordinary string of chars
that does not have any regexp special chars is itself a (very simple) regexp.

If you want to learn more about regexps, including some of the theory, some
background on implementation and algorithms, and some comparison of regexp
features and syntax in different languages, I know of no better book than this -
I (and many others) recommend it strongly.

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565922570

Have fun.

Thanks to Drew and Joost for references in 3 media: emacs, Internet, and print. I really appreciate your help.

Tom
--
Tom Dye
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.