I do not want to select a coding system

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: I do not want to select a coding system
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:41:10 -0800

Hi,

Every now and then, it becomes completely impossible to save the
contents of a new file I am creating.  Emacs demands I select a
coding system and none of them are plain old vanilla ASCII text..
It seems really nice and clever and egalitarian to allow for so many
coding systems.  It is really wonderful.  But compilers want ASCII and
I cannot get plain ascii.  In the end, I go into a shell and type:

cat > myfile.c <<\_EOF_
<<paste-a-gazillion-lines>>
_EOF_

and revisit "myfile.c".  Works like a charm, but is an incredible hassle.

I only want ASCII.  I've waded through the bazillion lines of configurable
stuff, too, and there is no obvious to me selection to say, "I always,
always, always edit ASCII text".  What is the magic?  Thanks.

Regards, Bruce