Re: MAC OSX Emacs does not find PATH

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Subject: Re: MAC OSX Emacs does not find PATH
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:44:08 -0000

Hi,

"Daniel (Youngwhan)" <breadncup@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am using GNU Emacs 23.1.95.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-
> appkit-1038.29) of 2010-04-03 on black.local in MAC OSX (intel)
>
> And, I found that it does not recognize added PATH in bash/
> environment.plist at all.

[...]

> When I launch it through terminal, it works as expected.

I am by no means an OSX expert, just unhappily stuck with that machine
for two years...

AFAIK the PATH together with the rest of your environment depends on how
you start things..

* From a terminal using some shell-script which opens Emacs.app:
  This will inherit the PATH from you shell environment, just as in
  Linux, so ~/.bashrc /etc/profile etc all should work.

* From the Dock using some Icon:
  This becomes a child process of the window server and has no knowledge
  of your shell environment.  It should read the environment plist you
  mentioned already, though.  Unfortunately there is no (easy) way to
  keep PATH in ~/.bashrc and in env-plist in sync, you'll have to take
  care of that yourself

* From spotlight, i.e. Apple-Space, search for Emacs, start the App:
  This is a direct child of the init-process, called launchd on OSX.
  Well, this one reads neither /etc/profile nor env-plist, it is
  controlled by some other conf-file in /etc, which I forgot.  Since
  fiddling with that could lead to an unbootable system (as far as I can
  tell, that is) I stopped at that point, when I had problems with PATH,
  and just chose not to start Emacs (or Netbeans or whatever) using
  spotlight.

Ridiculous if you ask me, but then, I'm already through one year and for
me there's only one more left ;-)

Cheers,
Stefan
--
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
You hit. The format string crumbles and turns to dust.