Re: getting emacs icon in gnome

From: rustom
Subject: Re: getting emacs icon in gnome
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 15:43:47 -0000

On Mar 30, 11:57 pm, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 30, 6:20 pm, Roger Mason <rma...@mun.ca> wrote:
>

> > rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> writes:
> > > I used to use emacs from my distro (usually debian or ubuntu)
> > > Then I started compiling my own emacs
> > > Then I thought -- Why keep the distro version -- And removed it.
>
> > > Now Ive no emacs icon for the bar at the top of gnome.
> > > Can someone tell me how to set the icon?
>
> > Here's what I did to get the emacs icon on the Applications menu
>
> > (1) Right click on Applications.
> > (2) Select Edit Menus
> > (3) Select the sub-menu that contains the entry for Emacs
> > (4) Select the entry for Emacs & right-click it
> > (5) Select Properties
> > (6) Click on the icon that appears on the left side of the dialogue box
> >     that pops up.
> > (7) The file selector that pops up may contain the emacs icon, but you
> >     may have to browse around in other directories to see the icon you
> >     want. On my Gentoo system it is in
> >     usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/
>
> > Hope this helps,
> > Roger
>
> There is no more any emacs in the OS's side of things -- applications
> edit menus etc
> Also I cant see any edit menus in applications here under debian (and
> I think ubuntu as well)
>
> emacs is under my $HOME which is in my path so calling emacs from the
> shell works
> So I created a gnome launcher which put some generic icon.
> I want to change that to the emacs icon
> I am unable to do so

Replying to my own question:
Ive got it working (without really knowing what how)
There are all sorts of icons under my/emacs/install/path/23.1/etc/
images/icons
I could not get gnome to look there
So I copied some emacs.svg to the gnome icon directory
No luck
Then I copied copied another emacs.png to (another) gnome directory
For sometime the icon changed to a strange shell like icon
Then suddenly it changed to the correct E-with-pen. (I guess
restarting gnome would have done it)
Now I find that png file in the (first) gnome directory with (other)
svg files