Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How expansive "bzr update" for Emacs trunk?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:13:47 +0200

Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Oleksandr,

> I mark that "bzr update" take about 1 MiB for
> "Finding Revisions" and a lot MiB
> (5.5 MiB between yesterday and today).
>
> Is really bzr so dumb that require a lot of network traffic?

Yes, accessing a bzr repository via http produces extremely much network
traffic.

> I restricted with 3G or GPRS Internet connection.
> One time a month commit I get about 5 hours
> (~7 KiB/sec download speed)!

Oh, that must be really awful.

> So may be good switch to ssh protocol and set compression?

Yes, it's planned to switch the Emacs repository to a smart server using
ssh access.  See the following tickets on savannah and the discussion:

  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?107077
  https://savannah.gnu.org/support/index.php?107143

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/savannah-hackers-public/2010-03/msg00011.html

But the latest traffic seems to be in March, so I have no clue about the
current status...

Bye,
Tassilo