Re: Soo many buffers

From: Dan Davison
Subject: Re: Soo many buffers
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 14:03:09 -0400

Hi Andrea,

I've had this in my emacs.org for ages

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;; ;; Things that I'm not really interested in seeing in emacs
  ;; ;; (you can still open them explicitly)
  (setq dan/ignored-extensions
        '(".html" ".csv" ".ps" ".bst" ".cls"
          ".fdf" ".spl" ".aux" ".ppt" ".doc" ".xls" ".mp3" ".org"))

  (mapc (lambda(extension)
          (add-to-list 'completion-ignored-extensions extension))
          dan/ignored-extensions)
  (ido-mode t) ;; (iswitchb-mode t)
  (setq ido-separator " ")

  ;; As regexps, these should really have terminal $
  (mapc (lambda(extension)
          (add-to-list 'ido-ignore-buffers (regexp-quote extension))
          (add-to-list 'ido-ignore-files (regexp-quote extension)))
        dan/ignored-extensions)

  (add-to-list 'ido-ignore-buffers "\\*") ;; if you want *scratch* or *R* just
type it
  ;; (add-to-list 'ido-ignore-files "^[^.]+$") ;; files must have a . in their
name (experimental)
#+end_src

It prevents C-x b from showing me org files, amongst other things. Note
that org provides C-c b to switch to org buffers only.  The only thing I
don't like is that this prevents C-x C-f from offering org files. I've
wondered whether org should also provide a find-file command for org
files only. I'm sure that's possible to implement in many different ways
with the various completion engines.

Dan