Re: Xemacs error

From: Deniz Dogan
Subject: Re: Xemacs error
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:38:26 +0200

2010/8/5 Julian, Phillip <phillip.julian@bankofamerica.com>
> I am getting an Xemacs error when it starts up.  I placed Xemacs in a
> non-standard location, and setup some environment variables.  It seems to
> know where HOME is.  I have also unloaded the packages into a sub-directory
> where the EXE file resides.  I placed binaries in the directory – all are
> version 21.4.19.  I did not install using the Xemacs installation tool,
> because security measures at the bank (Bank of America) prevent such an
> installation.  I also tried to find information at xemacs.org regarding the
> correct directory structure and any Windows registry entries that I may need
> to set – to no avail.  My help desk said that I should email you.
>
> I want to customize Xemacs further for the ess package, so I need to get this
> working to use it effectively.
>
> Xemacs seems to work – I can edit files OK.  But the graphic menu at the top
> looks scrunched-up like this, which is another tell-tale error:
>
> Here is the error, which appears in a DOS window:
>
> WARNING:  Couldn't find an obvious default for the root of the XEmacs
> hierarchy.
> WARNING:  Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
> load-path
> doc-directory
> data-directory
> exec-directory
> lisp-directory
> Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
> C:\Documents and Settings\NBKLUVA\My Documents\My
> Programs\xemacs-21.4.19\xemacs.exe
> is in a strange place?

Hi, Phillip

This mailing list discusses GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. They are two
different programs and the general opinion nowadays seems to be
that XEmacs is legacy and few use it.

While you might get answers on this list, my guess is that your
best bet is to contact one of the lists that are listed here:
http://www.xemacs.org/Lists/index.html

You should also note that your version of XEmacs is very old. When it
was released Internet Explorer 6 was the norm. Have you tried a newer
version? Maybe you should try GNU Emacs instead? ;) Here is a link to
the latest stable Windows build of GNU Emacs:
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-23.2-bin-i386.zip
GNU Emacs does not use an installation tool of any kind, simply
unpack it and run bin\runemacs.exe.

Good luck,
Deniz Dogan