Re: line-move-visual

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:12:50 -0000

> A subject I wonder about some times is why we don't have whitespace
> insensitive diffs.

You might want to try the diff-refine-hunk command, or to set
diff-auto-refine-mode to t.

I wrote this while working on LaTeX documents where diffs tend to be
difficult to read because of all the refilling.  It won't "simplify" the
diff in any sense, but it will highlight the words that have been
added/changed/removed which is not bad.
Of course, ediff gives you similar results, so if you like ediff's
interface that's another option (I personally find ediff a bit too
heavyweight, so I only use it for particular circumstances, but
otherwise prefer smerge-mode and diff-mode to look at changes and
handle merges).

        Stefan