Re: comments in cc mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: comments in cc mode
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:09:31 -0000

Hi, Michael,

"Massmann, M. (Michael)" <mmassmann@feweb.vu.nl> wrote:
> Dear Andreas,

> Many thanks for this. Could you point me to the documentation for the
> options available for comment-style? After playing around with some of
> them I did not get the desired effect.

> I also had a look at cc-mode's `c-indent-comment-alist' and set every
> single entry to `column' and `nil', so as to have the default column
> (ie 100) apply, no matter what the surrounding syntax is. The variable
> `c-indent-comments-syntactically-p' I set to nil so that it does not
> override the previous settings.

> This seems to have the desired effect that when I press M-; to insert a
> *new* comment on a line, empty or not, the comment indeed starts in
> column 100.

> Yet when I press M-; to re-align an *existing* comment, the entire
> comment is moved to a column other than 100 in 9 out of 10 cases.

> Any advice on how to rectify this problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've just gone through `comment-dwim' in edebug (the Emacs debugger), and
it seems like comments are being made to fit within `fill-column'.  I
don't know why this is being done, but could you try setting it to a high
value, say

    (setq fill-column 150)

.  Does this solve the immediate problem?  Does it introduce any new
problems?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).